Updated - This article shows you why and the easiest way to convert DVD ISO to MP4 for playback on more devices. Also we have added the free method to change ISO to MP4 using Handbrake.
A DVD ISO file is an image of an entire DVD that contains all the date on a DVD. MP4 is one of the most widely used format that is accepted by most devices, media players and video editor software. If you have some ISO files and now want to convert ISO to MP4 videos so that you can play, edit and share them more conveniently, then you're definitely in the right place here! In this article, you'll learn how to convert ISO to MP4 with fast ripping speed and lossless video quality.
Click the links below to jump to the part you are most interested in.
Part 1: Get to know ISO and MP4
ISO image files are created by people to have a digital backup of the DVD content on an external disk, hard drive, or other online storage options, which are basically the archive files and not a video itself. Thus they cannot be played directly. The size of the ISO image file of a 90-minute video is generally around 5GB to 8G, which is definitely a lot of burden on your storage considering the huge amount of important data that you need to store.
MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 14) is a digital multimedia container format most commonly used to store video, audio as well as data like subtitles and still images. It works with a variety of coompression schemes like H.264, HEVC, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, AAC and MP3.
Why Do We Need to Convert ISO to MP4
1. Converting ISO to MP4 reduces the file size to almost 5 times in MP4 format as compared to ISO file format, an excellent and surefire way to save storage space on your hard drive or external disk.
2. Another common reason for converting ISO to MP4 is compatibility. Since ISO image files are large, they cannot be directly played on various mobile and other devices. MP4 is one of the most common and widely used formats that are compatible with working with the majority of TVs, mobile phones, tablets, gaming consoles, and other devices. Thus conv
Part 2: How to Convert ISO to MP4 fast with optimal quality & small size
To get the fast speed, optimal quality, and small size for the ISO to MP4 task, here EaseFab DVD Ripper is highly recommended. The program is an easy DVD/ISO Converter for Windows (Windows 10) PC/macOS (Catalina) and has top performance when converting ISO to MP4. Below are key features of the top ISO to MP4 Converter:
※ Convert Any DVD Files: Convert homemade discs, burned DVDs, and bought DVDs with almost all DVD encryptions. Meanwhile, it can easily handle DVD IFO file, DVD folder, ISO image files.
※ 6X faster: With the NVIDIA CUDATM technology, the conversion is processed on NVIDIA's GPU instead of your computer's CPU and you can convert an ISO image file to MP4 as short as 5 minutes.
※ 1:1 Disc Backup: Two different copy modes: Title Mode (Copy main movie without extras) and Full Disc Mode (Backup the whole content of your disc) are provided to let you copy the exact movie part you want.
※ From 5GB DVD to ~1GB MP4: easily adjust the resolutions, bit rates, codecs, etc. of the output MP4 H.264, MPEG4 to reduce the final file size. Specifically, the ripped MP4 file is 700MB ~1 GB instead of GBs for a full movie, a 80% space saving. Plus, there are ready profiles for AVI, WMV, MOV; Blu-ray to iPhone, iPad, Android, and 350+ formats/devices.
[Guide] How to Convert ISO to MP4 with Quality, Size, and Speed Well Balanced?
1. Load ISO files
After downloading, install and run EaseFab DVD Ripper. Then IFO/ISO button to import the source ISO files to the program. Alternatively, you can click the arrow on the right of the "Load DVD" button, and then select "Load DVD ISO Files" to load ISO files. As you can see, DVD folder and IFO are also well supported.
2. Convert ISO to MP4 in the Best Quality
Then click "Profile" and select HEVC MP4 or MP4 (H.264 codec) as the output format. If you want to convert ISO image files to MP4 for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus, etc., you can browse to find any video preset as the output format.
1. To get the best possible output quality and smallest file size, convert ISO to HEVC MP4. It has 50% smaller size at the same quality.
2. The default setting works well. Of course, if you want to customize video and audio encoding settings, just click the Settings button to customize these settings. Remember the file size and video quality is based more on bitrate than resolution which means bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss.
1. You're not suggested to adjust the frame rate and aspect ratio, if not necessary.
2. Use the codec H.264 or H.265 and lower the bitrate to a lower level. For example, adjusting the bitrate of around 1800-2500 is acceptable without noticeable pixellation.
3. Lower the resolution. Typical DVD videos are 720×480 (NTSC) and 720×540 (PAL). Adjust the resolution to 640×480 won't make any quality difference.
Please note: Adjusting these variables have some effect on the re-encoded video quality. You can go smaller, only at the cost of quality loss. Remember the file size and video quality is based more on bitrate than resolution which means bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss.
3. Start converting ISO to MP4
Check to make sure all the settings are OK and then click the Convert button to begin the ISO video to MP4 conversion. After that, click Open to get the video clips and play/edit/share them anywhere you like.
Part 3: How to Convert ISO to MP4 Free with Handbrake
Handbrake is a free and open-source conversion tool that supports working in multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. In addition to a large number of format support for conversion, the program also allows converting your ISO image files to MP4 format. While you burn the ISO files to MP4, you can view its content without any need for burning it to a disc. Thus you can use Handbrake convert ISO to MP4 in a few simple steps.
[Guide]How to convert ISO to MP4 with Handbrake
Step 1: Download, install and open the Handbrake program on your PC. A Source Selection interface will appear. On the left side panel, click File to import ISO files from your PC. You can even drag and drop the files.
Step 2: Once scanned, the ISO files will be added to the interface with its information. Next, choose the title and the preset format or the device as desired. Under the Summary tab, choose MP4 as the output format. If needed, audio and video codecs can be customized.
Step 3: At the Save As tab, choose the output directly. Click the green marked Start Encode button to begin the process of ISO to MP4 handbrake conversion.
The limitation of Using Handbrake
Handbrake works as a basic ISO to MP4 conversion tool with its share of limitations and drawbacks.
• A lot of users get errors like No Valid Source found where there is a problem locating and scanning the ISO file.
• No support for batch conversion of files.
• The editing features are limited as compared to other professional tools.
• The graphical interface of the program is not an easy one to use.
• With a lot of settings and options, the program can become a challenging one for the beginners.
To sum up, here are the top 2 ways to convert ISO image file to MP4. Considering the above limitations of Handbrake, you're highly recommended to adopt EaseFab DVD Ripper due to its intuitive interface, ultra user-friendly, clean, stable and superfast.