An ISO image can maintain full content and original quality of a DVD disc. Though this format are good for storing files, they are usually large in size and many mobile devices cannot directly play ISO image files. To solve the compatibility, space or other kind of issues, many users choose to convert ISO to MP4, which is one of the most widely used format that is accepted by most devices, media players and video editor software. In this article, we'll introduce 3 ways to convert ISO to MP4 format quickly and easily on PC.
Top 3 Methods to Change ISO to MP4
Why Many People Choose to Convert ISO to MP4
Get easier access to play. Similar to DVD disc, ISO image files are often large and can't be played directly on most mobile devices. While MP4 is fully supported by Android mobiles, iPhone iPads, TVs, game consoles, to name a few. That's one of the reasons why users want to convert ISO image to MP4 - for more convenient playback.
Compress movie size. ISO Image contains everything written to a disc and is uncompressed. Thus, an ISO image file is only slightly smaller than a raw disc of data. An average 90-minute DVD ISO file has a size about 5 - 7.9 Gigabytes. While after we changed the .iso file to .mp4 with almost the same high quality, the size is around 0.8 - 1.5 Gigabyte. So it reduces the data infomration by approximately 80%. And along with some help the powerful yet professional tool - EaseFab DVD Ripper, you can compress ISO image file to MP4 without any image loss visually.
Method 1: Convert ISO to MP4 with EaseFab DVD Ripper
EaseFab DVD Ripper does a very good job when it comes to converting disk image files including ISO image, IFO image files and Video_TS folders. And with only three simple steps and as short as 5-10 minutes, you can finish the ISO to MP4 conversion while keeping high quality. Besides MP4, you can fast compress ISO image file to AVI, MOV, MKV, MPEG2, WMV, and more formats. It is available for for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc. And it has a Mac version compatible with macOS Big Sur and lower. Its features include but are not limited to:
● Transcode DVD ISO to MP4 as well as other formats such as MKV, HEVC, AVI, WMV, MOV, M4V, MPG, FLV, etc;
● Convert ISO Image to MP4 for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, and other devices with optimized presets;
● Conquer all types of DVDs, from new discs, 99-title, damaged, Japanese, regional, workout to non-standard DVDs;
● Finish conversion at fast speed, owing to the support for the world advanced Intel, Nvidia and AMD, etc. hardware acceleration;
● Adjust resolution, bit rate, codec, etc to produce optimal file size. Specifically, the converted MP4 file is 800MB-1.6GB for a full 5-7.9 GBs ISO image file, a 80% space saving.
Steps to Convert ISO Image File to MP4 with Good Quality-Size Tradeoff
To begin with, you need to download and install EaseFab DVD Ripper Windows or Mac version on your computer. The guide below takes the Windows version for an example. Mac version has the same process.
Step 1. Load DVD ISO image file
Launch EaseFab DVD Ripper on your computer. Click IFO/ISO button to load the DVD ISO image file you want to convert. Batch conversion is supported so you can add multiple ISO image files to convert at a time.
Step 2. Select MP4 as output format
Click Profile bar and select MP4 (codec: H.264 + aac) from Common Video category as the output format. If you want to convert ISO image files to MP4 for playing on iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus, etc., you can browse to find any video preset as the output format.
Optimal quality settings:
1. To get the best possible output quality and smallest file size, convert ISO to HEVC MP4. It has 50% smaller size at the same quality.
2. In addition to selecting HEVC MP4 as the output format, flexible options are offered to further reduce the size of the encoded MP4 video. Click the Settings button beside the profile and enter into the parameter settings page. A slew of other variables such the video/audio codecs, pixel dimensions, frame rate, bit rate, audio sampel rate, etc. will help convert an ISO image at 8GB to a smaller MP4 file at 1-1.6GB.
Recommended video quality-size settings for ISO to MP4 conversion:
◆ You're not suggested to adjust the frame rate and aspect ratio, if not necessary.
◆ Lower the bitrate to a lower level. For example, adjusting the original Normal quality to bitrates of 1500-2000 is acceptable without noticeable pixellation.
◆ Lower the resolution. Typical DVD ISO image videos are 720×480 (NTSC) and 720×540 (PAL). Adjust the resolution to 640×480 won't make any quality difference.
Please note: Adjusting these variables have some effect on the re-encoded video quality. You can go smaller, only at the cost of quality loss. Remember the file size and video quality is based more on bitrate than resolution which means bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss.
Step 3. Start conversion
After finish the above steps, click the "Convert" button to start ISO to MP4 converting. When the conversion is done, you could enjoy the high-quality MP4 file as you will.
With just a few clicks, the ISO to MP4 conversion process completes within 5-10 minutes. Now, you get smaller file size and more convenient playback control on your movie files. You can watch the converted ISO movie file on iPhone, iPad, Android mobiles, PS4/PS5, game consoles, HDTVs, any device you have without compatibility issues.
Method 2: Free Convert ISO to MP4 with Handbrake
Handbrake is a free and open-source conversion tool that supports working in multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. In addition to a large number of format support for conversion, the program also allows converting your ISO image files to MP4 format. While you burn the ISO files to MP4, you can view its content without any need for burning it to a disc. Thus you can use Handbrake convert ISO to MP4 in a few simple steps.
[Guide] How to convert ISO to MP4 with Handbrake
Step 1: Download, install and open the Handbrake program on your PC. A Source Selection interface will appear. On the left side panel, click File to import ISO files from your PC. You can even drag and drop the files.
Step 2: Once scanned, the ISO files will be added to the interface with its information. Next, choose the title and the preset format or the device as desired. Under the Summary tab, choose MP4 as the output format. If needed, audio and video codecs can be customized.
Step 3: At the Save As tab, choose the output directly. Click the green marked Start Encode button to begin the process of ISO to MP4 handbrake conversion.
Drawbacks of this method:
● A lot of users get errors like No Valid Source found where there is a problem locating and scanning the ISO file.
● No support for batch conversion of files.
● The editing features are limited as compared to other professional tools.
● The graphical interface of the program is not an easy one to use.
● With a lot of settings and options, the program can become a challenging one for the beginners.
Method 3: Convert ISO to MP4 Free with VLC
VLC proves itself a solid choice with its simplified interface and powerful ISO image file decoder feature. Besides a popular media player, it offers an easy way to convert ISO to MP4 H.264, H.265, WMV, Webm, and several device profiles. However, it comes with a few trade-offs. And you have no control over the conversion - resolution, bitrate, frame rate, deterlacing, aspect ratio, volume and more.
[Tutorial] How to Convert ISO to MP4 with VLC
1. Open the converter and click Convert/Save under Media. Click the Add button to load the ISO file.
2. Once the ISO file is loaded correctly, click the Convert/Save button.
3. In the next page, select MP4 from the Profile dropdown menu. Then click the Start button and convert ISO to MP4.
Drawbacks of this method:
● It does not allow selecting the desired quality and resolution of the output file.
● Video editing features before conversion are not supported.
● Conversion controls are limited as compared to professional software.
● Conversion quality is not very good when compared to other paid programs and tools.
To sum up, here are the top 3 best methods to convert ISO image file to MP4. Considering the above limitations of Handbrake and VLC, you're highly recommended to adopt EaseFab DVD Ripper due to its intuitive interface, ultra user-friendly, clean, stable and superfast.