Blu-Ray may be majestic. However, due to its very heavy copy protection. you can only play Blu-ray discs in a few choice desktop computer programs, most of which cost a lot of money. If you use a Mac, it becomes even more difficult. Fortunetly, there are a lot of different tools out there for ripping and encoding Blu-Rays. Among them, there are two software that are distinctive in that these two Blu-ray decrypting software can rip Blu-ray losslessly. They are MakeMKV and LosslessCopy.
Both of them have their own market with a mass of fans. Facing the two professional Blu-ray ripping softwares, which is the suitable one for you? Here, you can learn their similarities and differences for making the final decision. Read on for details.
Similarities and Differences Between MakeMKV and LosslessCopy
The Common Features
Both the two programs can re-encode or remux Blu-ray and DVD to lossless/uncompressed MKV converter keeping all the audio and subtitle tracks, chapter markers. Many Blu-ray Rippers on the market can convert Blu-ray and DVD to MKV but few of them can rip DVD/Blu-ray to multi-track MKV.
The Different Features
As its name shows, MakeMKV only can create MKV files from Blu-ray, DVD and video while one one hand, EaseFab LosslessCopy can output multi-track MKV/MOV/AVI/MP4 and normal SD/HD MP4, MKV, WMV, FLV, TS and more; on the other hand, it also can output device presets such as iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Android, TV, AviD, etc. Moreover, EaseFab provides some editing functions to help you add external subtitles to Blu-ray and DVD, extract SRT subtitle from Blu-ray and DVD, remove/replace audio from Blu-ray and DVD video, split a whole Blu-ray and DVD video to several parts, trim Blu-ray and DVD video, merge two DVD video into a single file.
Why does MakeMKV and LosslessCopy choose MKV for lossless Blu-ray backup and rip?
* MKV is open and free. No one holds patents or licenses and anyone can implement it freely. As a result nearly every software player and many hardware devices support it. The best software players out there ( VLC, MPlayer ) have full MKV support and are absolutely free.
* MKV files do not have evil features attached.
* You can play them on any capable hardware. No need for HDCP-certified video card or any "trusted" environment.
* You can copy them to your laptop and watch anytime, even if your laptop lacks DVD or Blu-ray drive, or any drive whatsoever.
* One file is one title. If you don't want to watch dozen trailers before the movie, you don't have to. And fast forward button always works, too.
* There are no restrictions where to play the file. There are no region-based restrictions. You have control over the content you've paid for.
* MKV files are easy to change. Want to remove unneeded audio track from the file? Thought about converting MPEG-2 video into H264 to make the file 5 times smaller? All of it can be easily done with free software.
* MKV files are compact. For exactly the same content MKV files are about 10% smaller than DVD files and roughly 40% smaller than Blu-ray files.
Comparison Chart of LosslessCopy vs MakeMKV
Supported Input Formats
|Blu-ray Discs,Blu-ray Folder,Blu-ray ISO Image File||Yes||Yes|
|DVDs, DVD Folder, DVD IFO File, DVD ISO Image||Yes||Yes|
Supported Output Formats
|Lossless MKV: with multi-audio tracks/chapter markers||Yes||Yes|
|Lossless MP4/MOV: with multi-audio track||Yes||No|
|MP4, WebM, AVI,WMV,||Yes||No|
|M4V, F4V, MOV, FLV||Yes||No|
|3GP,VOB, TS, DV,||Yes||No|
|MP3, AAC, FLAC,OGG||Yes||No|
|WAV, M4A, DTS, AMR,||Yes||No|
|Optimization Profiles for Specific Devices||Yes||No|
|Merge & Split Video||Yes||No|
|Trim & Crop Video||Yes||No|
|Adjust Video frame rate||Yes||No|
|Adjust Video codec, bitrate||Yes||No|
|Adjust Aspect Ratio||Yes||No|
|Adjust Audio codec, channel||Yes||No|
|Add SRT subtitle||Yes||No|
|Extract SRT Subtitle||Yes||No|
|GPU Acceleration (NVIDIA CUDA, NVENC, and Intel HD Graphics.)||Yes||No|
If you only need to convert DVD and Blu-ray to MKV, you will be satisfied with both of the two Blu-ray Rippers. If you are searching for a more powerful Blu-ray Ripper, EaseFab LosslessCopy will be your ideal choice. Both of the software have no spyware, no adware or viruses.